Saturday, June 29, 2013

Finding A New Hobby

I love helping my children find new hobbies and talents and helping them develop them. One morning my daughter, Pinky, came to me and asked if I could teach her how to knit. I was ecstatic to say the least. I jumped at the opportunity and taught her how to knit a dishcloth. She did an excellent job. She went on to create her own pattern for fingerless gloves and a matching headband. She then came to me again and asked if I could teach her how to crochet. I was again thrilled at the opportunity and grabbed my hooks and yarn. We again started with a basic dishcloth. She then crocheted a head band and then her first hat. 
Because we have been studying the Revolutionary War and the reasons we celebrate Independence Day, I thought I would go to ravelry.com and look for a free patriotic project that Pinky and I could do together. I found one but thought that it might be a bit too difficult for miss Pinky. She decided to take on the challenge and we are both learning together. Our project pattern can be found here. It will take a lot of time and patience but, so far, it has been fun. 

Here is Pinky counting her stitches. She really wants it to turn out right. There have been times when both of us have had to undo several stitches to correct mistakes. I am sure we will be thankful for our extra efforts when we are finished. 
Here is a little bit of the progress we have made. 
Our children are capable of so much. If I have learned anything, in my journey as a parent and a homeschooling mom, it has been to take the opportunities to teach them when they are willing and ready to learn. It would have been easy for me to put it off for another day and time when I was less busy. But would she have been as interested then? I have enjoyed all of my extra one on one time with her and sharing the joy of her achievements. She has learned so much just from having to undo parts of her projects, sometimes having to start over and not giving up when it gets hard. She has learned to complete what she has started and to set goals and accomplish them in a reasonable time. She has also gained confidence in her own abilities and the talents she has been blessed with. Hobbies are an important part of learning and development and a great bonding opportunity for families. 

No comments:

Post a Comment