Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Fun With Math

Math can be a frustration, especially for little ones still learning to count. There are many ways to make math fun. I'm only going to share a few with you in this post and I will revisit this topic in the future. 

The first is a counting game I found on this amazing blog. This is called Apple Roll and Pick. The child rolls the die then picks the number of apples shown on the die. They continue until all the apples are picked. This is a great way to help children with counting objects and recognizing numbers on dice. You could also use pom poms, buttons or another fun manipulative. 
I created this simple counting game. Please excuse my amateur abilities. I am not good with art or computers, but sometimes simplicity is a good thing. If you would like to print this counting mat, you can get it here.
I have been collecting lids from our milk jugs. I wrote numbers on the top with a permanent marker and now they can be used for counting games such as this. 

I also created a flower petal counting game done very much the same way. I made numbered petals to use as manipulatives but you could use anything. Feel free to print this Flower mat and petals for your own use. 
This train counting game is used the same way the caterpillar counting game is used. It can also be used to teach colors. This can be printed here.
This is a fishbowl counting game. It can be used in the same way the apple one is used or in anyway you feel would help your children learn. Fish crackers or Swedish Fish would be fun manipulatives for this one. 
Sequencing is a lot more fun when a puzzle is involved. My preschool age twins love these puzzles.
The sequencing puzzles and fishbowl can be found at the same link as the apple tree game found at the beginning of this post.

My sister gave me this equation book when her children had mastered simple addition and subtraction. I apologize, I'm not sure if it's available anymore but you can probably find something like it at a store that carries education supplies or even online. 
I don't remember where I found the cover to this math game. If I find the correct blog or website, I will be sure to post the link and give the creator credit.  I made the game several years ago. It's a fun way to review math skills. At least two players are required. We use pawns from an old game that had missing pieces and one or two dice depending on how long we want the game to last. The first player rolls the dice and moves their pawn. If they land on a chalkboard they have to complete a math problem, (ie multiplication tables, division or whatever concept they are working on at the time). The other player has flash cards or an assignment with the correct answers on it. They give the opposite player a math problem and let them know if they have the correct answer. If they do they get to move on their next turn. If the answer is incorrect, the player has to stay on that space until they can correctly answer a math problem. The players go back and forth until some one lands on the finish space. I used dot stickers for the spaces and free clipart for the chalkboards and rules sheet. The game is made of two file folders and laminated with contact paper. 
I found some super cute multiplication posters on this blog and turned them into flash cards. My children use them for the math file folder game. 
We also use Life of Fred math curriculum. My kids have gone from hating math to loving it. Check out their website here. They also have samples of their lessons. 

Math can be fun for anyone. I have worked with our children to find their learning styles and create lessons and games that work with them. I also believe in strengthening their weaknesses so that they can learn in any environment. 














No comments:

Post a Comment